Choosing the correct metal is an important part of your purchase. Should you go for Platinum or White gold? Or maybe Rose Gold? All the key facts can be seen below.
Platinum is the most popular metal used in Diamond Engagement Rings and Wedding Rings. Over 80% of our customers opt for Platinum as opposed to gold. Platinum is a naturally 100% white metal, it will never fade in colour. It also helps improve the sparkle and vibrancy of any diamond set in it.
The Purest Metal
Platinum is usually hallmarked ‘950’. This stands for 95% pure platinum then the other 5% will be palladium, iridium, ruthenium and other alloys. These help the platinum bond together forming a solid item. If it was not alloyed with another type it would simply be too weak.
As well as being one of the purest metals it is also the rarest. It is over 30 times more so than gold. Making it even more of a special purchase.
Gold has been used in jewellery for thousands of years; it has been used as ornaments by kings, as currency and more recently in electronics.
The colour of gold is determined by the type of metal it is alloyed with, for example if it is alloyed with a silver coloured metal it will appear more white in appearance.
Natural gold is saturated with coloured alloys to give the beautiful rich colour. The most common alloy gold is mixed with to give its beautiful yellow hue are silver with a green hue and copper with a red hue. These then give the gold its natural warm look. Gold does not require any form of plating and will only dull down over time. To bring it back to its original condition it will just require a quick polish.
Customers find white gold particularly appealing due to its white appearance and it’s slightly cheaper price as opposed to Platinum. White gold is mixed with a white alloy to give it a white hue. It is then rhodium plated to give a clean white finish. Rhodium plating will wear off over time, which can leave your jewellery with a yellow tint. This however can be re-applied by re-polishing the ring and re-applying the rhodium plating.
The lovely pink hue that rose gold has is given by the copper alloy it is mixed with. This particular metal has seen a revival in the last year with many people deciding to have diamond engagement rings made in it. It gives the rings and jewellery a beautiful antique look and adds something different to your jewellery collection.
If you would like to find out further details on metals then please click the ‘Learn More’ button below.